Tuesday, April 24, 2012

D.L.Snow's, Siren's Song, a Bandit Creek Book






Hello D.L., one of the thirty authors in The Bandit Creek Book Series, and author of Siren’s Song, a book in that series. This book has paranormal aspects (ghosts) and sci-fi (time travel)…and romance. D.L. can tell it all best in our interview – but before we get started, here’s a little about D.L.:

DL Snow spent her youth living by trial and error. From touring with an international performing group, backpacking through northern Africa to living bohemian style in Berlin, she pursued adventure and passion from one place to the next, never really knowing where she’d end up. She’s been a wildlife technician, a rock climbing instructor, a tailor’s assistant (measuring men’s inseams – someone’s gotta do it!) and a high school social studies teacher.

It wasn’t until she met the love of her life, the son of a Nakoda chief, and started a family, that DL found her true calling – writing. Now, she writes about passion and adventure and is happy to say her characters never know where they are going to end up. Find out more at www.dlsnow.ca

Wow, D.L….you’ve had an adventurous life…lots of fodder for fiction. Okay…on to the interview.


Please tell us how the idea came to you for The Bandit Creek Book Series. Please include all the fun details.

The birth of Bandit Creek is an incredible story of collaboration. Imagine thirty authors, with varied backgrounds and writing in a variety of genres, getting together and creating a fictional town, common characters and story lines, a series bible…such fun. The excitement and energy in the room was amazing - I don’t think any of us slept after we’d come up with this idea. It’s been an incredible experience and it gave me the opportunity to write about a few of my favorite things: ghosts, past lives and time travel!
 

I’ve had a number of you Bandit Creek authors and have enjoyed hearing the inspirations that brought your books to fruition. Wonderful theme, inspirations, and ideas.

Tell us about your heroine Joss Jones. What’s she do for a living?

Joss Jones was a famous teen superstar…until five years ago. Her mother died in a car crash (while Joss was driving) and Joss has always felt responsible. She gave up her career and became a music teacher. Now, she hopes to find some semblance of a normal life in Bandit Creek as a teacher. Boy is she in for a surprise!



Tell us about your hero…what does Morgan Hawes first mean to Joss Jones?

Joss first becomes acquainted with Morgan Hawes when she inherits her grandmother’s old house in Bandit Creek. The only thing is, Morgan isn’t a living breathing man, he’s the ghost of a boy who died ten years ago and this ghost is responsible for dragging her back in time to Bandit Creek 1899.



Oh, I love the concept of going back in time with a ghost. *grins*

So…Why this location? Anything in particular in real-life that made you select it?

I have to say, growing up in the Canadian West, I have a passion for this time period (1899); for the settlers and fortune seekers who took a huge chance moving into unknown territory to try to make their lives better—it’s the story of my ancestors. I love exploring old ghost towns and do so every chance I get. This book really embodies my secret fantasy, to go back in time and to see what life was really like during this time!



Sounds like a real trip, D. L.

Is Siren’s Song included in a series? If so, what series and can you give us titles and a tagline for other books in this series?

Yes! As I mentioned above, Siren’s Song is part of Bandit Creek Books. The series was kicked off in September, 2011 and includes a number of fun paranormal stories. Here are a few:



LOST - A Bandit Creek Mystery by Vivi Anna’s - Kirsten Morgan can hear the dead. And now they are calling to her, to come home to Bandit Creek.



DEVIL UNKNOWN by Steena Holmes - When a fallen angel decides he wants to rule the world, no one can stand in his way. Not even his own son.



SHAFTED by Kymber Morgan - Is her love real or just a myth?



SKIN DEEP by Shanna Gecko - A Bandit Creek Paranormal Erotic Romance



A STRANGER’S KISS by Roxy Boroughs - sequel to A STRANGER’S TOUCH
 

Which scene was your favorite to write? Can you share a little of it?

My favorite scenes are actually at the end of the book (so I can’t share them without giving away the ending!). One of my other favorite scenes, however, is when Joss Jones thinks she sees a young native man dressed in modern clothes (while still living in 1899).  She tracks him and his grandfather to an alley behind the general store and asks them for help to return home to her own time. For this scene, I drew on my own experiences living on an Indian Reserve in Canada where I had the opportunity to hear many stories from my late father-in-law (who was a writer, poet and long-time Nakoda chief). Here’s the excerpt:



I stood there with my arms wrapped around myself, not really knowing what to say. The two men crouched down onto their haunches and the older man reached into his pocket, pulled out a little packet and a pipe. Then he lit the pipe and the two smoked it passing it back and forth between them and speaking quietly in a language I’d never heard before, acting as if I wasn’t even there.

My five minutes were almost up so I cleared my throat hoping that would gain their attention but they continued to ignore me.

I walked closer and finally said, “I’m Joss Jones. I think maybe you can help me.”

Nothing.

A sense of urgency made me blurt, “Please, I need your help. Please. I know you’re like me.”

Without looking up, the man named John said, “Like you? How am I like you?”

“I saw you, the way you were dressed. You don’t belong here.”

After another puff on the pipe, John said, “We are Crow People. We belong.” He turned his head and used his lips to point at the mountain top to the west. “We are travelers but we always winter beneath this mountain. It’s named for our people.”

The man spoke quietly but with a thick, halting accent and my stomach sank. Like everyone else in this god-forsaken place, he didn’t know what I was talking about. I must have been seeing things again.

The two continued to speak quietly and just as I was about to leave, John said, “Grandfather says you are a traveler too. He says you have traveled a great distance.”

My heart lurched in my chest and I crouched down beside them, no easy feat in a corset. “I have,” I whispered. “But I need to go home. Can you help me go home?”

The old man smoked his pipe and spoke in his soft language. Tilting his chin up at the mountain, he waved his hand like it was a bird. Then he clapped suddenly and I jumped. The old man chuckled at my response.

“What? What did he say?”

“You travel like this mountain.”

“That doesn’t make sense. Mountains don’t travel.”

He shook his head. “The Creator makes the mountains. Boulders fall down. They fracture into stones. Some turn into pebbles and are washed downstream into the great rivers and seas. Some turn into earth. One day the mountains will be gone – it will be spread out all over this land and the Creator will have to start all over again.”

I shook my head. “I don’t understand. What has this got to do with me?”

The old man spoke again and John translated. “Even though the mountain comes apart it is all still part of the mountain. A pebble from that mountain still is…” the grandfather spoke again and John listened before continuing, “…the pebble still is, the stone still is, the boulder still is, the mountain still is. They are all one yet all in different places. Travelers.”

I still didn’t understand. I didn’t want to hear about mountains and stones and stories and myths. There was only one thing I cared about. “So, can you help me?”

Finally John looked at me, right into my eyes. “A crow can carry a pebble to the top of the mountain but he cannot put a mountain back together once it has fractured. Only the Creator can do that.” He took a puff of the pipe. “I am sorry,” he said. “A traveler must find her own way. It is between the traveler and the Creator.”



Nice scene.

What are you working on now?

I’m currently working on two projects. One is a post-apocalyptic trilogy set 300 years in the future called The Odessa Chronicles and I’m working on a fictional story about reincarnation that was inspired by true accounts. It’s called The Locket and I’m very excited about it!

  

Where can we find you? List all of your links.

www.dlsnow.ca - website/blog

@DL_Snow - twitter

DL Snow - Goodreads

DL Snow -Facebook




Quickie Quiz

       Getting to know D.L. Snow



2 Things you do to relax: Walk and take a bath



Favorite sport to watch: Volleyball



Cat or Dog: Both (two of each, actually!)  Me too!!



Favorite places to write: In a café, at home with windows around me.



Place you’ve always wanted to go, but haven’t: On safari in Africa



Breakfast drink: Double Cappuccino!



Favorite season ~ why: Summer - I love heat. I love the sun (yes I know, it’s bad)



What are your hobbies /past times (besides writing):

Reading (of course!). Hiking, running, playing volleyball and hanging out with my family.


***giveaway***giveaway***

D.L. has generously offered a PDF copy of Siren’s Song to one lucky commenter. Leave a comment and your email address for a chance to win. Drawing will be chosen randomly tomorrow after Noon EST. Good Luck!!




Click Cover for info & buy link



By D.L. Snow

A Bandit Creek Time Travel Romance

Blurb

 After giving up fame, Joss Jones just wants a normal life.  Maybe she’ll find it in Bandit Creek.  Or…maybe not.  From the moment she moves into the old mansion she inherited, she’s stalked by a ghost who torments her before dragging her back in time to Bandit Creek, 1899. 

Has she gone crazy or is this old mining town, full of saloons, gambling, whoring and fortune seekers her new reality?  It feels real enough as does the ghost who brought her here.  His name is Morgan Hawes and he is very much alive.  Is Morgan the key to Joss finding her way home or is Joss stuck for the rest of her life as the Siren of Bandit Creek?






D.L., thank you for making my place one of your Bewitching Book Tours stops. Congratulations on the release of Siren’s Song…and I wish you many, many more successes.



Thank you everyone for stopping in and visiting with D.L. Don’t forget to leave D.L. a comment for your chance to win her giveaway.




Until Next Time…Warm Hearts & Hugs,
Kay Dee

Please consider joining the Muse It Hot Readers Group - you'll find many of your favorite erotic romance authors there waiting to hear from you and talk with you. To join go here and sign up: http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseitHOT/



Also check out Ravencraft’s Romance Realm – lots of hot topics and creative romance authors: http://ravencraftrealm.blogspot.com


11 comments:

Kay Dee Royal said...

Good Morning D.L. I love the premise of your book...a little history, a ghost, and traveling through time...what an adventure.

How much research did your little gem take...was there a number of places you had to go to find it all?

DL said...

Hi Kay Dee,
First of all, thanks so much for having me! As for the research, well, I've been researching for years - not necessarily for this book but for a couple of others I plan to write. When this project came up, it was a perfect fit for the research I'd already done. There are two wonderful old ghost towns I've visited over the years (Sandon and Fort Steele) These were key because they were both booming mining towns during the turn of the century. I've visited, collected books, photographs, gone on mine tours, explored...imagined. I also interviewed my 94 year old grandmother before she passed away. Although her personal memories are from a little later time period, she shared stories of her mother's family and how they came out west and settled during this time. Such adventurous people!

Barbara said...

I love this concept and what a rich & wonderful world! I think your collaboration with all the other authors just makes it so real. Congratulations on creating such a vivid & engaging story...

DL said...

Thanks for stopping by, Barbara. The collaboration has been fun - pretty tricky at times too. I was lucky because Siren's Song came out early on. I think it's tougher for the authors coming later to try to keep everything straight!

Roxy Boroughs said...

You seem to write in a variety of genres. What's your favorite genre to read?

Louisa Bacio said...

Wow, how amazing to bring together so many writers in this series! Sounds fascinating. Thanks for the new writer!

Louise Behiel said...

What is the last book you read?why did it appeal to you?

DL said...

Hey Roxy, Louisa and Louise! Thanks for stopping by! My favorite genre to read...hmm... At the moment I'm totally hooked on the George R.R. Martin Game of Thrones (A Song of Fire and Ice)series. They are soo amazing! But I really love all genres. From romance, historical, paranormal, women's fiction, suspense. You name it, I'll read it! Basically I get on 'kicks' and I'll read a ton of books in one genre and then switch to another.

Louise, as for your question, I'd have to say the reason I like the Game of Thrones series is it is so well developed - the world building is stunning - I swear he wrote a history of his 'world' before he started writing the series. The character development is truly a model of excellent writing. It isn't your typical good vs. evil fantasy (like Lord of the Rings)but each character is complex and has motivation for their actions. But best of all, I can get lost in the story - and you know, as a writer, how that internal editor is sometimes hard to turn off.

Kay Dee Royal said...

DL...we have a winner!!!

It is Louisa Bacio - Congratulations!!

You will be contacted with your prize soon, Louisa. Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting with DL.

Thank you all for stopping by...DL, thank you for hanging out at my place - it's been a great time.

DL said...

Congratulations, Louisa. I hope you enjoy Siren's Song.

Kay Dee, thanks so much for having me, it's been a lot of fun!

bn100 said...

Very nice interview and excerpt. The characters sound very interesting.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...